The next several election cycles will be fascinating. Hillary looks like a cinch to win on Nov. 8. Then what?
I see the GOP cracking open their infamous, unused autopsy from the last POTUS loss. Their only shot at regaining the White House and making the big-tent fantasy real will be there. On the Dem side, Congressional Republicans are already promising to obstruct Clinton at every turn and even try mightily to impeach her for imagined and disproven sins. So Democrats as a party and as pols will have to:
- Copy the 2010/11 GOP strategy of controlling state legislatures and thus redistricting and thus House makeup
- Rally the public who are sick to death of obstructionism to first goad their Reps into cooperation and second to defeat those up for election in the next two cycles
Dems have hard tasks, but at least theirs won’t require mental, emotional,cultural shifts as with the GOP.
Let’s play the game along with Republicans. They lost the POTUS yet again in 2012 and followed that with the promies and (dare we say) hope of the Growth & Opportunity Project (G.O.P.). That jocularly named autopsy detailed the failures, forecast the demographic trends, and mandated what they needed to do to fill up a big tent of women, African Americans, Latinos, and, well, Democrats.
The lameness of pary head Reince Priebus and ticket head Donald Trimp seem the antithesis of the autopsy findings. Assuming the obvious Hillary Clinton victory in two weeks, do Republicans:
- Accept that they can only get the voted of poorly educated white men?
- Cling to being “the party of Lincoln” even though the modern bastardization couldn’t be farther from his ideals?
- Try to live with a splintered and split personality of far right extremists, bigots and other anachronisms?
- Do another deep dive and this time really try to follow the analysis findings?
They really have become an asylum or other institution of dysfunctional quasi-adults.
For the Democrats, if they can’t geet control of at least the Senate (thus installing judges and preventing the Tea Party pledge of impeachment and other vengeance against Clinton, then what? Ideally, they could get control of most legislatures in the 32 states that let their local lawmakers do the Census Year redistricting. Republicans were brilliant and ruthless in gerrymandering. What is the Dem strategy?